Red Scarf Project

Monday, January 03, 2005

Red Scarf Project 1: Dear Friends

I'm putting my knitting compulsion to work to help Chinese orphans. If you knit or crochet or can make scarves of any kind, you can help me.

Here's my idea: I'm going to sell as many handmade red scarves as I can to raise money. You can help by making one also and donating it for me to sell. And if you don't make scarves but would like to own one, you can help by buying one.

My story: My husband and I will be adopting a little girl from China in late 2005, but before we do that I want to give her country something in appreciation for the amazing gift we'll be getting. Working with the Hope Foster Home, I plan to spend two months in the Special Care Unit of an orphanage in Henan Province, giving the children there my time, energy, attention and love.

My trip: The money I raise with the scarves (and any other donations) from this point on will be donated to Hope Foster Home. (My travel expenses have already been covered, thanks to several very generous contributions!) I will be living in an orphanage where I will do whatever is needed: perform clerical and administrative tasks in the office, help with preschool activities, teach children English, sing songs, play games, spend time with the babies, lead day trips, clean the facilities, do maintenance work. In short, I will provide human interaction for children who desperately need it and help improve their living environment. (In the event I can't make my trip, the funds will be donated directly to HFH.)

Why red scarves: The Chinese have an ancient belief that says all people who are destined to meet are bound by an invisible red thread. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break. I made my first red scarf because it seemed like a fitting tribute to the daughter we haven't yet met. And since I'll be working with children who are waiting for their forever families at the other end of their red threads, it seemed only right to make as many red scarves as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help, and may your red thread lead you where you need to be and may the ladybug of luck always be with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home