Red Scarf Project

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Red Scarf Project 7: UPDATE! Red Scarf Project UPDATE!

The response to the Red Scarf Project has been tremendous. To say the least, I have been amazed at the outpouring of support! People everywhere are knitting and purling for this cause that is so close to my heart.

My friend Danielle had not knitted since she was a child; she picked up her needles and created three beautiful scarves. Another friend, Deborah, is a crocheter. Despite the fact that I told her crocheted scarves are welcome, she put down her hook and picked up some needles long enough to create four elegant scarves. A teacher at my school, Melanie, had a scarf waiting for me the day after I emailed her about the project. She has since given me five lovely scarves. Students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade at my school Piedmont Open IB Middle are knitting in their spare time. A parent volunteer, Mrs. Leighton, who is our resident knitting expert, gave me two scarves yesterday. Jane, a teacher at another school, heard about the scarf project and she sent over a BOXFUL of hand-woven scarves -- some have red threads but most are every other color imaginable. My friend Dana is making jewelry to sell at the scarf parties.

The scarves are starting to come in from new friends: I received a gorgeous "Opera Scarf" in the mail from Margene in Salt Lake City. I received a beautiful long, bright red scarf with fringe from Rin in Charlotte, N.C. I drove to Barbara's office in Charlotte yesterday to pick up an extravagant eyelash scarf she made after I met her last week in a yarn shop.

Here are several updates and/or changes to the project:

  • Jean at the Scottish Lamb designed and created the super effective Red Scarf button. This fabulous button is popping up everywhere!
  • My original post and letter mentioned the possibility of working for one of two organizations, the Hope Foster Home or China Care. I have been in touch with the director of Hope and I have decided that is where I am meant to go. They have a desperate need for assistance in their Special Care Unit in Henan Province, so that's where I will go in June.
  • Thanks to some very generous donations, my travel expenses will be taken care of. All proceeds from this point forward will go directly to Hope Foster Home. I will appreciate everyone's help in getting the word out about this change.
  • The first Red Scarf Party is being planned for Monday, Feb. 7, after school hours at my school. Faculty and staff will be invited, and parents will be welcomed via online newsletter.
  • There will be a silent auction at a major event at my school in March. The PTSA has agreed to put our scarves up for auction or to have a separate booth for information and sales.

I want to thank the many people who have responded in one way or another. Whether you've knitted a scarf, passed the word along, bought a scarf, or given words from experience -- I truly appreciate your support. I emphatically thank all of you!

11 Comments:

  • At 10/01/2005 7:27 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    make money
    is easy. make money

     
  • At 10/01/2005 8:52 PM, Blogger 8709 said…

    Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.

    If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about mens male enhancement reviews. It pretty much covers mens male enhancement reviews and other similar topics available.

     
  • At 10/02/2005 12:45 PM, Blogger TS said…

    Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
    you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
    zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
    a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

     
  • At 10/08/2005 6:29 PM, Blogger luckpoo said…

    I've stumbled across your blog when I done some make money working at home research in Google. You're doing a pretty nice job
    here, keep up the good work! check out make money working at home

     
  • At 10/09/2005 3:39 AM, Blogger Jim Naka said…

    We had been blogging trying to find how our world sees toy and baby. It has been a lifeline for us. Your site provides some of the best examples of this sort and we will bookmark yours. Another one we found was and appears to be related to yours is toy and baby site/blog. It pretty much covers toy and baby related stuff.

     
  • At 10/10/2005 12:50 AM, Blogger Online Incomes said…

    Hey nice blog, really nice! I just want to let you know I have an fishing trip vacation
    site - blog too!
    It's a free information site with tips and secrets for saving big money on your next vacation!

    It mostly deals with fishing trip vacation plus other stuff
    You Can Save Up to 50% off your next vacation
    You Should check it out if you get the chance :-)

     
  • At 10/10/2005 1:19 AM, Blogger bill naka said…

    Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my jewish gift related site. It pretty much covers jewish gift stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

     
  • At 10/10/2005 6:16 PM, Blogger Swingin80 said…

    Cool blog you have. I have a home work related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is home work

     
  • At 10/11/2005 12:06 PM, Blogger cc Infopage said…

    Hello,

    I am searching around for fresh information
    for my cc Infopage, 30,000 daily updated Information Pages about all kind of subjects.

    It might interest you to know that your blog has been visited and has been read. I hope you enjoy your "Blogging".

    I wish you all the luck I can, keep the good work going!

    Kind regards,
    Jos
    Today's News About eBay

     
  • At 10/11/2005 4:09 PM, Blogger harvey said…

    Hi great blog i must remember to bokmark you ... I have a horse racing blog myself I also have a new Online Auction to tell you about here farm auction get yourself $35.00 worth of free Advertising farm auction

     
  • At 10/11/2005 6:53 PM, Blogger cc Infopage said…

    Hello,

    I am searching around for fresh information
    for my cc Infopage, 30,000 daily updated Information Pages about all kind of subjects.

    It might interest you to know that your blog has been visited and has been read. I hope you enjoy your "Blogging".

    I wish you all the luck I can, keep the good work going!

    Kind regards,
    Jos
    Today's News From & About eBay

    Get the eBay Business Box Today

     

Post a Comment

<< Home