Red Scarf Project

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Knit Unto Others and Call for Suggestions

I'm knitting like a knitting maniac so that I can complete as many items as possible during these 2 weeks of the Knit Unto Others knitalong. Join in -- see the cool button in my sidebar!
Hope is a fellow knitter and she emailed with a very good point and question, "Do you know what materials would be best for making warm things for the kids? I have noticed in the past many people who collect for institutions don't want things made from pure wool or anything difficult to wash." My response: I'll pose this question to other knitters. :-) So send in your suggestions! I will also research on some charity knitting sites and let you know what I find. I am currently using Lion's Wool-ease, which is combines wool for warmth and acrylic for washability. I will also double-strand with Lion's Homespun. I bought one of the red scarves that was double-knitted with it and boy is it warm and soft!

5 Comments:

  • At 11/20/2005 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have an answer which is more of a question, and a question:

    I think the issue is whether the item will be washed. For the Dulaan project Ryan has said that the chances of these items ever being washed is pretty much zilch, and if any washing is done it would be by hand in cold water...thus with little chance of felting. So for these items, will the administrative folks be washing them? The mention of a "hat box" makes me think they are kept together, which might mean they'll be washed by someone.

    And my question: Is there a need for adult gear as well, or just for children?

    Thanks so much for organizing this!

    MaryB in Richmond

     
  • At 11/20/2005 6:51 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Mary, Thanks for writing. I will assume that most of the items will be laundered. Definitely the ones at the group foster home, and maybe the ones at the orphanage. As far as adult gear -- the request is only for children at this time. BUT I think many school-aged children will wear small adult hats, scarves, and gloves/mittens if people send them. I say that in case someone has those items on hand to donate.

    Thanks!

     
  • At 11/21/2005 9:08 AM, Anonymous Mary Ann Nelson said…

    Lisa,
    Saw your post on APC and would like to know if your project allows for fleece items? I could sew fleece more quickly than knit, though I am knitting now (between writing papers for the end of my semester - knitting is so relaxing!). Please let me know if you can use the fleecy clothing items... whatever I could come up with would more than likely be ready for your January haul.
    Mary Ann
    Niceville, FL
    aka "milagrocoyote" on APC, you can contact me directly through the group via the "group list" I think.

     
  • At 11/21/2005 11:31 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Hi, Mary Ann.

    I think fleece sounds very cozy and will be "warmly" received. :-)

    Please mail to:
    Lisa Miller
    1205 E. 35th St.
    Charlotte, NC 28205

    Thanks so much for your support!

     
  • At 10/16/2007 4:03 PM, Blogger JellyJo said…

    For knitting soft washable garments for children, I swear by Caron Simply Soft. It comes in a huge variety of colours (I *despise* traditional pastels), is super-soft, washable, durable, and best of all, cheap. It's just acrylic, which I know, I know, "good" knitters avoid, but trust me. When the little rugrats are dragging your lovingly knit cardigan through the mud, you'll be glad you didn't spend $50 on the finest wool!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home