Red Scarf Project

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

URGENT Need for Knitted Items for Children in Shunyi and Shan Xi

Hello! from the estranged RSP knitter (um, that's me, Lisa Miller).

I received an email from an RSP friend in Beijing. She has an urgent request for winter items for children. Please read her message below. Please mail items to me and I will get them to Amy ASAP! My address: 1205 E. 35th St., Charlotte, NC 28205.


Amy's message:

"I volunteer every week at the China Care Children's home in Shunyi, which is close to the Hope Foster home. China Care has in Shunyi, about 30 babies to toddlers and now some school aged kids. When I was there last week the Chinese office manager and I were talking about the school aged kids and shetold me the new 4 year old deaf boy had finally been placed in a school. I thought it was great, howevershe then told me he might not could go any longer asit is starting to get cold here and his school has noheat and he has no warm clothes. So I came home andbegged all my Western neighbours for clothes and Iwent to the market and bought him a coat and then Iknit a hat and scarf. I went back with all the stuffand the same Chinese lady says great, we also have 87school aged kids with the same problem in foster homesin Shan Xi. I knit a lot, but I don't think I canknit for 87 kids!Should you happen to belong to a knitting group andyou all are searching for a project...this could be one! I even have an FPO address which means no international postage fees. If you don't belong to such a group, could you give me any pointers on how toget the word out? Thanks so much, Amy in getting colder by the day Beijing"

and this is her next email:
"Hats, scarves, maybe mittens, even sweaters and vestsfor the kids would be very much appreciated. I sawsome of the toddlers going outside today at the homeand the hat bag was only full of summer caps. Betterthan nothing I guess, but I need to knit up a few. Babies through school aged. And I guess I should add there of course more kidsthan the ones in Shunyi and Shan Xi, China Care haschildren's homes in Batou, Inner Mongolia and Tiuanyi. As well as various other support type projects, Iknow all the other foster home/children's homes in thearea also support other programs through China.Too many kids to keep warm!"

6 Comments:

  • At 11/29/2005 10:35 PM, Blogger Cindy said…

    Hi Lisa,
    Count me in. I'll post info on my blog.

    Cindy

     
  • At 11/30/2005 3:40 AM, Blogger Barbara said…

    I'm afraid that I just cleaned out all our baby/kids clothes this month for charity, but I have posted the details in my blog and hope others will have items to send. Thanks for making us aware of the situation!

     
  • At 11/30/2005 3:31 PM, Blogger Ro said…

    I wonder if some ponchos would help too??? Really thick ones???

    Will add it to my list, might take me a couple weeks to get the stuff done is that okay???

    Thank you so much for bringing it to our attention!!!
    Ro

     
  • At 11/30/2005 3:39 PM, Blogger Ro said…

    P.S. I'll post about this on the One Small Thing blog soon as I can to help spread the word as well...have you posted about this at crochetville.org? that would probably help a lot too.

     
  • At 11/24/2006 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i was just wondering if *crocheted* scarves and other items would be accpeted as well.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 2:34 PM, Anonymous vermont grandma said…

    It is almost 2007. I live in Vermont, I enjoy knitting. I Have a nice baby sweater & hat set, could also knit scarfs. Do you still want them? Also--do you have a preference as to length of scarf? I have a hat pattern with ear flaps, does that sound o.k.? I do not have any red yarn--but all my yarns are washable. I have "tons" of a gray/white yarn which would be great for either boys or girls. e-mail me at
    plrbrandon@verizon.net. When I make several then I could mail them to Lisa in Charlotte, N.C. Right now I have several projects to finish, so it would be a while before I could start on things for China. Do not give my e-mail address to anyone else, please.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home